A Birth Story – Jen and Matt

Phew, what a couple of weeks it’s been for us. We’ve moved, started painting and unpacking and getting ready for Christmas. I’m amazed I’m still standing 🙂

Then last week, just a few days after our move, I had the honour of attending my first birth photography session. What an amazing experience. It’s taken me a little while to process the whole story and put words to my thoughts, but here it is… a birth story from my perspective.

Last Sunday, the 2nd, I got a call from Jessica (the doula) at 10:45pm that Jen was in labour, contractions were 3 minutes apart and a minute long. About two minutes before the call, I had said that I was tired and was going to bed. I guess it’s a good thing that I’m flexbile 🙂 I quickly got my things together and headed out the door 20 minutes later. I hadn’t driven more than a block when I got another call from Jessica saying that the midwife had just arrived and that she felt it was likely to be a little while. After a brief conversation, I decided to keep driving anyway. I knew from talking to Jen that her labours were relatively short with her first two babies and Tsawwassen is a bit of a drive from our new home in Pitt Meadows, so I figured it was better to be safe than sorry!

During my drive, the tiredness set in again, so I decided to stop at my parents place in Richmond and get an update. When I arrived just before Midnight, I texted Jessica to see how Jen was doing. If it was still looking like it would be a while, I was going to take a quick nap. The response I got was that there had been a change of plans and that Jen was headed to Richmond Hospital, so me being in Richmond was perfect! Jessica said she’d be in touch when they arrived. Just after 1 am, Jessica let me know that they were just getting settled into a room and she’d be in touch again soon. At 1:35, I got another message saying that it was looking like a potential cesarean. I sent a message back and when I hadn’t gotten a response 10 minutes later, I decided to head out to the hospital. I arrived just before 2 and as I was paying for parking, Jessica called to say that they had just wheeled Jen into the OR. I was a little disappointed to be missing the birth, but I headed up to their room to wait and document what I could. Jessica filled me in on some of the details of what had happened as we waited. A short time later a nurse came in looking for supplies and made a comment that Jen hadn’t had a cesarean after all before rushing out of the room again. We smiled at each other, knowing that this would make Jen a little bit happier!

Where it was all suppose to happen…

The time when I arrived.

Matt came in around 2:30 to introduce us to wee little Scarlett, who had been born at 2:10 am on December 3rd. He’s one proud daddy!

Letting us know she’s not to impressed with us 🙂

At around 3, we were given permission to come and see Jen in the OR recovery room. She’s completely in love 🙂

So happy I could share in this special time.

Time to be weighed and measured…

6.97 lbs

A quick check from Alex, the midwife.

20 inches long

Happy to be back with mom!

Such a sweet, sweet little face.

And no post would be complete without feet 😉

Matt and Jen, thank you so much for allowing me to share in such a special moment in your lives. I’m sure life with three little ones is keeping you busy but I hope you’re savouring all the little moments and catching sleep when you can. Scarlett is beautiful and I’m sure her brothers love her to pieces! Congratulations!!!

This entry was posted in Bellies and Babies, Blog, Photography and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to A Birth Story – Jen and Matt

  1. Pingback: 2012... A Year in Review | Kalem Photography

  2. Pingback: The Beauty of Birth | Kalem Photography

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *