Today’s post requires some participation on your part, so I do hope you’ll play along. The other day Ella asked me if I was happy, to which I automatically answered yes. It was just a random comment out of left field, as most things are with little kids… but it got me thinking. The answer I gave her came without thought. It was almost as if I feel like the answer “should” be yes, instead of actually taking stock and thinking about it. So I started to ponder. I wondered if there were things that I could change to make myself happier. What would I do differently? What defines happiness for me?
The more I thought about it, the more I wondered, how many other people feel this way? That they go through life and every once in a while something is thrown at them to make them stop and really examine where they are and what they’re doing.
So this is where you come in. I’d like you to stop right now and take a moment. Two minutes to be exact and write down 5 things that make you smile. Keep this list in your pocket or purse or desk drawer and read it each morning. In two weeks, I would love it if you would send me an email and let me know if reading this list of 5 has made a difference to your awareness of the world around you and your overall feeling of happiness.
– Hearing my kids call my name when they wake up in the morning and are ready for their morning cuddles
– Seeing them play together and laugh together
– Receiving positive feedback from my clients about the work I did for them
– Spending time just being with Eric
– Creating – whether it be photography, sewing, knitting, baking, cooking… just being able to get my hands doing something.